The school needed completely new teaching laboratories to replace the 50-year old facilities in this building. We proposed retaining the existing CLASP steel frame and floor plates, and building new walls inside and out with new finishes and services.
The finished building provides six teaching laboratories together with staff preparation areas, a lecture theatre, and a completely reorganised circulation system with two new stairs, so that at lesson change time pupils entering and leaving the laboratories do not clash with staff installing experiments and equipment.
Stephen George & Partners obtained planning permission, prepared detailed drawings, obtained competitive tenders and administered the contract on the school’s behalf. The contract sum was £1.6m, or only £1360 /sqm including all furniture.
Thanks to the decision to retain the structure and floor plates, the contract was able to proceed rapidly and finished six weeks ahead of schedule in 2012. The innovative approach and striking external appearance won the Leicestershire ProCon small building of the year award.
Following completion of the Physics building we refurbished the adjacent Maths building, replacing the external walls together with some of the internal finishes and services.