Client Leicester Hebrew Congregation, with funding from HLF (Heritage Lottery Fund)
Form of Contract Design & Build
Value £1.2 million
Year of Completion 2021
Victorian Grade II listed building built in 1897 for the use of the Jewish Community.
The only traditional Victorian orthodox Synagogue in the area and it is situated in the heart of Leicester, a multicultural city.
Expansive glazed foyer to link the Synagogue and teaching building together, with improved ancillary accommodation at the rear.
The design is sensitive to old structure with the new connection being respectful to the original fabric, but distinct and honest, clearly visible but with the original building remaining the focus.
The facade is glazed curtain walling with brick piers to provide a smooth transition between new and old, while the structure is predominantly steel.